The Government’s role in protecting New Zealand’s important information
Andrew Hampton, Director of the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB), spoke to Transparency International New Zealand’s February Board meeting.
He spoke about the role of Government in protecting New Zealand’s important information. In his conclusion he outlined his priorities listed below.
- Implementation of the new legislation which is currently going through Parliament.
- Continuing to build public trust and confidence – being more open and accessible through engagements like this is one of the factors which can contribute to this.
- Increasing the Bureau’s effectiveness by working better with others, both internally and externally.
- Involving the customers of our cyber security, information assurance and intelligence products more in how we design, deliver and evaluate services.
- Developing our people and their capabilities – with additional investment from Government comes the need to grow our people, both in number and building their capabilities. This also creates opportunities broaden the diversity of our staff so we can better reflect the community we serve and bringing a greater range of perspectives to our decision-making.
Notes from the complete speech are available from our website.
Public Sector Integrity Media Release
State Services Commission took a very positive step in addressing a key recommendation of TINZ's Integrity Plus 2013 New Zealand National Integrity System Assessment by advertising a role for Deputy Commissioner, Integrity, Ethics and Standards. 11 May, 2017
Defence Inquiry Media Release
Transparency needed to support the integrity of our Defence Force 2 Apr, 2017
Corruption Perceptions Index 2016 TINZ media release
Transparency International 25 Jan, 2017
TINZ OGP Submission
Transparency International New Zealand (TINZ) submitted recommendations for New Zealand’s second Open Government Partnership (OGP) National Action Plan (NAP). Among the recommendations were a call for more ambition in creating NAPs and developing channels of communication for improving engagement with citizens. 19 Aug, 2016