Code of Conduct
Transparency International New Zealand
A world with trusted integrity systems in which government, politics, business, civil society and the daily lives of people are free of corruption.
- Good Governance
Our Guiding Principles
TINZ is a civil society organisation committed to respecting the following principles:
- We will respect and encourage respect for fundamental human rights and freedoms.
- TINZ will be democratic, politically non partisan and non sectarian in our work.
- We raise awareness, describe and assess strong integrity systems, develop tools for fighting corruption, and work with other civil society organizations, companies, and government entities to implement them. We do not undertake investigations on single cases of corruption or expose individual cases.
- We will strive for balanced and diverse representation on our governing bodies.
- We are committed to building, working with and working through national chapters world-wide. As one global movement, we stand in solidarity with each other and we will not act in ways that may adversely affect other Chapters or the TI movement as a whole.
- In all of its activities TINZ will accord due respect to the dignity and values of the people with whom it works, being consistent with principles of basic human rights and natural justice.
- TINZ will condemn bribery and corruption vigorously and courageously wherever it has been reliably identified.
- The positions TINZ take will be based on sound, objective and professional analysis and high standards of research.
- As coalition builders, TINZ will work cooperatively with all individuals and groups, with for profit and not for profit corporations and organisations, and with governments and international bodies committed to the fight against corruption.
- In all of its activities TINZ will accord due respect to the dignity, values, history, religion, and culture of the people with whom it works consistent with principles of basic human rights.
- TINZ will undertake to be open, honest and accountable in our relationships with everyone we work with and with each other.
- TINZ will consider the impact of integrity on biodiversity, natural ecosystems and the wider environment.
Finance and transparency
- TINZ will only accept resources, financial or in-kind, that do not compromise its ability to address issues freely, thoroughly and objectively.
- We will provide accurate and timely reports of our activities to our stakeholders.
- Funds collected by TINZ should be utilised with utmost care and diligence so that no wasteful expenditure is incurred and maximum result is secured at minimum cost.
- Funds and other resources designated for the purposes of projects, aid and development will be used only for those purposes
- A member shall not solicit or accept gifts, goods or any form of gratification for services provided or to be provided by virtue of his/her position or in association with TINZ (except as provided for by Rule 20 of the Rules of TINZ).
- All directors and contractors must declare any interests for the register of interest at each meeting.
- Directors must immediately notify the executive committee of a summons, or other legal document which would involve them in court proceeding, related to corruption charges.
This policy is subject to and is to be read consistently with the Rules of Transparency International New Zealand Inc.