Transparency International New Zealand (TINZ) has designed six sets of questions that can be used when talking with a candidate standing for local body elections, for which voting closes on 12 October. They are applicable to all positions.
TINZ is also sending these to a large number of local body candidates around New Zealand. We will encourage candidates to reflect on the questions and select some to focus on in their social media or other promotions.
Our questions focus around integrity, transparency and accountability, including encouraging broader community participation in decision-making.
TINZ is non-partisan. It is up to the public and individual citizens to form their own view on responses.
A key objective of these questions is to emphasise the accountability of leaders to be transparent about their policies and political agendas.
- Personal motivation
- Why are you standing for election?
- What does integrity in local government mean to you?
- Tell me about conflict of interest and how you manage it.
- Access to information
- Do you think that the Council (or Board or Trust) gives the public the right amount of information and access to meetings?
- Tell me what you know about the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act and the Official Information Act?
- Public participation
- What are your ideas for getting more public participation in local decisions? Who do you think is missing out?
- What are your ideas for helping people who don't have good internet access, to be involved and have their say?
- What are your plans for engaging with young people
- Tangata whenua
- What do you think are the main issues that are important to local tangata whenua?
- Fair representation/diversity
- Does your Council (or Board or Trust) Council have fair representation of women as councillors and employees, including leaders?
- What is your opinion about diversity on and in the council (eg gender, ethnic, disability)?Accountability
- How will you balance economic, social and environmental issues?
- When it comes to a decision, what will you prioritise?
- How can I trust you will follow through on your promises?
Download these questions as a handy reference.